TDI Adopts Order for Rate and Rule Revisions Changes Effective Sept. 1, 2019
The Texas Commissioner of Insurance has issued an order adjusting the basic premium rate for title insurance and amending R-5, R-8 and R-20. Please read carefully and prepare to be in compliance on the Sept. 1, 2019 implementation date.
Summary of Changes
Basic Premium Rate
– Includes an overall rate adjustment of -4.9 percent, a starting base rate of $25,000 and three new rate tiers for policies with face values over $25, $50 and $100 million.
Refinance Rate Amendment
– Amends Rate Rule R-8 to provide for a 50 percent credit within the first four years and a 25 percent credit between four and eight years.
Simultaneous Issue Discount Expansion in R-5
– Allows a simultaneous issue rate credit for 90 days on transactions $5 million and above. The premium is $100 for each loan policy under these circumstances.
Construction Credit Expansion in R-20
– An extension of the credit for developers of large construction projects from one year to two years with a simultaneous issue rate for the loan policy.
These new rates should be charged on all transactions that close (the date the papers are signed) starting on Sept. 1, 2019.
Read the Order and View the Amendments
These changes are outlined in TDI’s adoption order. The revised rate chart and amended rules can be found in the following exhibits: Read TDI's order and attached exhibits »
- Exhibit A - Basic Premium Rates; Calculation for Policies in Excess of $100,000 With Examples
- Exhibit B - (R-5) Simultaneous Issuance of Owner’s and Loan Policies
- Exhibit C - (R-8) Loan Policy on a Loan to Take Up, Renew, Extend, or Satisfy an Existing Lien(s)
- Exhibit D - (R-20) Owner’s Policy After Construction Period
Sign Up for TLTA's Compliance Webinar Today
Learn more about the specifics of these changes and how to implement them during TLTA's webinar, New Rate and Rate Rule Changes to the Basic Manual
on July 25, 10:30-11:30 a.m. This program will also be available on demand.
If you have questions or comments, please submit them to Aaron Day at email@example.com or call at 512.810.8800.