Legislative News: A Brief Recap of Legislation That Went Into Effect on Sept. 1
Texas Land Title Association | Sept. 18, 2017
The 85th Session of the Texas Legislature created several new laws that went into effect on Sept. 1, some of which will impact the Texas title insurance industry. Overall, the laws that may have the most impact on your work are:
- Lis Pendens Expungement. SB 1955 ensures that interest in real property may be transferred free of any matters and all claims asserted or disclosed in the notice or the underlying action.
- Adverse Possession Amongst Co-Tenant Heirs. SB 1249 provides additional rights to co-tenant heirs, specifically those who live and pay taxes on the land, who collectively inherited real estate from an ancestor through intestate succession.
- Powers of Attorney. HB 1974 sets out the requirements for a durable power of attorney.
- Remote E-Notarization. HB 1217 authorizes "online notarization" via two-way video and audio conference technology.
- Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act. SB 499 adopts the model Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act. It modifies current partition law by adopting a uniform national standard in cases where heirs or co-tenants seek to divide their individual interests.
TLTA's 2017 Legislative Report contains a more detailed list of legislation TLTA fought for and against this past session. In addition, our recent webinar New Texas Laws That Affect Your Business goes into more detail regarding legislation that can impact your work, and our upcoming webinar Powers of Attorney – New Legislation, New Requirements, New Rights (Monday, Oct. 16) will provide important information for escrow, closers, underwriting counsel, management and more on the new POA legislation.
Read the 2017 Legislative Report »
Register for New Texas Laws That Affect Your Business »
Register for the Live Version of Powers of Attorney – New Legislation, New Requirements, New Rights »
Register for the On-Demand Version of Powers of Attorney – New Legislation, New Requirements, New Rights »
Austin Title's Brittany Morrison Wins the BIG Giver Award From Austin Nonprofit
I Live Here, I Give Here | Sept. 18, 2017
Austin Title's Brittany Morrison, who works in business development, was the winner of the 2017 Patsy Woods Martin BIG Giver Award through the Austin-based nonprofit I Live Here, I Give Here. She received the award for her service to Hospice Austin over the past four years.
"Brittany Byrd Morrison is a remarkable young woman," said Hospice Austin Executive Director Marjorie Mulanax in a press release. "Her willingness to support Hospice Austin as a donor and volunteer serves as an inspiring example of how a young person can transform a heartbreaking loss into a passionate advocacy that can benefit other patients and their families."
Read the Press Release »
TLTA to Hold Town Halls Across Texas; All Members Encouraged to Attend
One of TLTA President J. Christopher Phillips' goals for the coming year is to get the message out to association members and, ultimately, to the consumer that the title industry is an incredibly important force in our state and national economies. To that end, he and Executive Vice President and CEO Leslie Midgley, CAE will be holding town hall meetings around the state this fall. The meetings will also include an update from Director of Government Affairs and Counsel Aaron Day on TLTA's legislative activities and on our TLTAPAC efforts with comments from Leslie about the general state of our association.
Be sure to register for these meetings if one is scheduled near you. Even if you're not in the area, you're welcome to participate in any of these important events.
View the Town Hall Meeting Schedule »
Cyber Crime News: FTC Launching Investigation Into Equifax Data Breach
HousingWire | Sept. 14, 2017
Citing the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the Equifax data breach, which exposed the personal information of 143 million U.S. consumers to hackers, the FTC broke with normal protocol and confirmed Thursday morning that it is investigating the situation at Equifax.
Read More »
Look for a Certification Test Near You!
When it comes to certification, numbers count – and more than 200 people can't be wrong!
Certification tests are coming this fall to Dallas, Houston, Austin and El Paso. Plus, a 2018 test for Austin has already been scheduled. Get prepared, learn what to expect on the test and apply for a designation.
View the List of Upcoming Exams and Deadlines »
Learn More About TLTA Certification»
Voted Most Popular: TLTA's Top Five On-Demand Webinars for September 2017
TLTA's On-Demand webinars are popular – and for good reasons! They can get you the CE credits and knowledge you need, at a time that works for you.
Below are our top five On-Demand webinars for September. Register for one today!
See the Full On-Demand Webinar Catalog »
- New Texas Laws That Affect Your Business
- Deeds and Correction Instruments
- Ethics: Things You Shouldn't Do
- 2016 Texas Land Title Institute: Part 1
- Alphabet Soup
Hire the Best With the TLTA Career Center
At TLTA, we strongly believe that filling your employment opportunities shouldn't break the bank. When your organization calls for three, five or even 20 candidates to take on new roles, why not fulfill your hiring needs and save money at the same time? With our multiple job posting packages, you can earn discounts for purchasing your postings in advance and enjoy the luxury of taking up to 365 days to post all of your jobs with full resume access. It's a great way to lock in year-round savings and cover your entire recruitment needs. You can:
- Reach more candidates with new job seekers each month
- Access resumes from qualified title professionals
- Receive email alerts when resumes matching your ideal candidate are uploaded
- Use our advertising enhancements for increased visibility
Ready to recruit from a large pool of highly qualified professionals that are a great match for your organization? Visit the TLTA Career Center today and see for yourself why this is the #1 site for making employment connections in the Texas title industry.
TLTA is scheduling live webinars for summer 2017. Register now, or reserve an On-Demand webinar today!